Monday, March 7, 2011

NYC adventures and London flashbacks

Darlings, I am beat. I don't even recall what I did with most of my day, but I am beat. Oh God. Realization that part of what I did was watch no less than three episodes of Glee that were on demand. Glee is just one of those things I've resigned to not like because it's kind of annoying and enjoys popularity. Much like the stance I took on myspace for years. Haters gonna hate, right? I don't know, I just like to put up a bit of a fight before digging into a giant slice of pop culture. The principle of the thing.

But mostly the show is just so far-fetched (I'm sorry, does the wheel chair kid always have to dance?) and I hate when it gets all cheesy after school special-y, with such themes as Be Yourself! and Bullying Isn't Cool, You Guys! And the romance triangles and quadrangles... whatever. The show does have good moments, and it is, unfortunately, kind of addicting. The fact of the matter was, I exhausted all of my other On Demand options (watched all of the episodes of Perfect Couples and I really am liking it, I have to say).

Anyway, that was my Gleetastic morning. I'm sick with a cold, by the way. It started on Friday... mum and I were actually in NYC that day, dropping stuff off at the Japanese embassy. We took the subway and didn't get lost or anything, ha-ha. We're both really bad at navigating New York. Werqing the U-Bahn in Berlin and Vienna? Piece of cake. So straightforward. But on my home turf, more or less, I am helpless. It's the turnstiles and junk (which I didn't see in Germany) that makes all the difference, I think. Plus Berlin and Vienna are Cities, but New York is a CITY. It's massive.

My super legit paperwork-visa-business will be available on Wednesday, so I'll have to head back there. I must take that opportunity to do Something Worthwhile, you know? MoMa is in the area and, I am ashamed to say this, I've never been. Actually, I'm not that ashamed. When I think modern art I think of total and utter bullshit. But hey, I got something out of the Tate Modern in London, didn't I? Although there was deffo some bullshit in there too.

Friday what we did after the Embassy was look around Saks Fifth Avenue. I've never been to any of those big 'ol department stores in NYC either (travesty!). I have only--quite tragically, really--seen them from the outside, when they're all closed, gazing at their stunning window displays at Christmastime. Usually while munching on some cashews purchased from a Nuts4Nuts vendor. So it was pretty neat to be inside one... it reminded me of Harrods, only nowhere near as cool. Harrods is just a totally boss place. If I lived in London... Oh Jesus. Seriously.

Because at Harrods it's not just clothes and shoes and Hermès scarves (by the way, as a scarves fiend it is a personal goal to get my hands on one of those damn hundreds-of-dollars silk scarves) but there are whole rooms, gorgeous rooms, devoted to Tea and Coffee or like, Sweets, and it's utterly delightful. I nearly died from the visual smorgasbord. So while I cannot and possibly may never be able to go to Harrods and just pick up a Herve Leger dress, I am able to window shop and treat myself to their crème brûlée, and that is what's most important. Little luxuries can be just as sweet as big luxuries, you know. That's why whenever I go to Wegmans (j'adore Wegmans) I am sure to buy a small round dessert with lots of berries on it. Mmm. Can someone take me to Wegmans tomorrow? And also TJMaxx or Marshall's, as I'm in a designer shoppin' mood and I don't wanna pay retail. (Digression: they had this adorbs red Kate Spade crossbody bag with a tassel at TJMaxx last time, I just had to buy it. It made me kind of deliriously happy).

Flashback time!
You just stare at that beautiful building and know it's a Shopping Establishment.

Uhhhhhh. Right, so Saks. Yeah, I felt kind of poor wandering around there. Not as poor as when I visited Rodeo Drive, but still pretty much poor. But really, who pays retail ever? Who does that? Today at the mall (yes, I accompanied my mother to the mall, even though I'm sick and miserable. But not as sick and miserable as I was yesterday) I managed to get a pair of gray skinny jeans from American Eagle for $13, which I'm counting as proof of how opposed I am to buying stuff that isn't on sale. 


This post is getting a bit lengthy so I think I'll continue it in another, sooner or later. Sooner preferably but it's nearly one ante meridian. I'm sleepy, ya know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment