Monday, March 7, 2011

on being sick: hugs AND drugs, please

So about this cold. It's mostly gone by now, but yesterday I was in such misery. But then, I do not handle sickness well at all. Maybe there are those who pop some serious pills and just power through it, tough it out. I am part of a school of thought that instead milks it for every last drop, and if that means stealing everyone's blankets and laying in them comatose, followed by weeping, and then a slow sad hobble to get to the other side of the room SO BE IT. When I am sick, I want to be pitied and babied. Is that so wrong?

Funnily enough no one at home really babies me. In fact, once when I had the flu I was at the dinner table (not eating, of course) and my dad made some kind of a somehow unkind (HA confusing wordplay) comment, and I burst into sobs. I burst into sobs because every inch of my body was in complete pain and I no longer felt the will to live--I think that's what I said.

For this little cold I took 2 teaspoons of Robitussin every 4 hours as per in the instructions. Sh*t is not "non-drowsy", fyi. Or at least it isn't if you are 4'11'' and you take it; I don't know how this stuff works. Regardless an hour later I was both not sniffling and standing unsteadily on a kitchen table blasting Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer." Which is a great song (almost as catchy, to me, as my personal favorite "More Than a Feeling") and I'm glad that Robitussin reminded me of that fact. Oh, did you know that gettin' high off of Robitussin is called "robotripping"? Thanks, internet.

So I was gettin' real buzzed off the stuff (to a lesser degree than when I was on Mucinex last year, at least) and decided I needed to be a little responsible. So I checked the dosage on the container for how much a person  "under 12 years of age" should take. And it just said "do not take." |: I am probably the size of the average 12 year old, aren't I.
RHETORICAL QUESTION.

0 comments:

Post a Comment