Monday, October 31, 2011

a dude should know how to wield at least one power tool

Some thoughts I had just now about a completely silly crush I maintain (because it is amusing for both me and Jackie):

Well, he's not especially attractive or anything. He could also be gay. But then, why doesn't he dress better? I think he tries, somewhat, but he looks unstylishly geeky--there is such a thing as stylishly geeky; that's different. It is almost endearing, though, and that's awfully generous coming from someone who puts way too much stock in these things. He is a bit too sarcastic (if he should turn out to be gay I also add the word sassy here). And his skinniness has me worrying that he might be a vegetarian, of all things. Which is something I just cannot tolerate in men (I can just barely excuse it in women). So far the only exception I've made is Alec Baldwin. And really I'm not sure how I feel about Alec Baldwin, Person. I think I've allowed myself to be sucked in by the charm of Alec Baldwin portraying Jack Donaghey in 30 Rock and I can't make out the difference. So that exception doesn't even count.

My prejudice against dude vegetarians might quell from the beautiful spring called "No person should ever impede me from full enjoyment of wings and beer at bars." But also, it might have to do with wiring in my brain that associates masculinity with hunting, caveman-style. Something gets turned on its head when a dude announces he's essentially a gatherer, not a hunter. OK, that's nonsense reasoning... still there's something to be said about old school masculinity, like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, or my go-to example Ron effing Swanson from Parks and Rec. Show me a guy who knows an almost suspicious amount of things about forest survival and the stars. That's attractive. I like the lanky, boyish goofballs--Do Not Get Me Wrong (John Krasinski, Conan...) but manliness vs. boyishness, gee that's an awfully hard choice. I shant attempt it.

Anyway, what was my point before? Oh, vegetarianism. Well, it's like this. If he's gay, I can work with that. If he's a vegetarian, game over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment